Soften regulations to facilitate media outlets: Sharif
Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif Thursday said regulatory regimes in India and Pakistan need to be softened to facilitate media outlets and to reach out to maximum viewers in both countries.
Sharif called for the relaxation of Indian laws so that Pakistani television channels can be seen in the neighbouring country.
He highlighted the media`s role in bringing the people of India and Pakistan closer, and said this could help in achieving the shared goal of peaceful and friendly relations between the two countries.
Sharif made the remarks while talking to Subhash Chandra, Chairman of India`s Zee TV Network, who called on the premier here.
Indian entertainment channels are beamed by cable networks across Pakistan but Indian news channels are barred in the country. Pakistani television channels are currently not aired on Indian cable networks.
Sharif expressed the hope that the media of both countries would play a constructive role and act more sensibly to bring the people closer and to shift the focus toward peace and economic prosperity.
He emphasised the role of television broadcasts in education and said a dedicated "education TV" channel can help impart education to millions in developing countries.
Chandra thanked Sharif for his hospitality and said he would play his role to enable the two countries to achieve the common objectives of peace and stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA