Soharabuddin case: SC asked jailed cop to reply to CBI`s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked Narendra Amin, a suspended senior Gujarat cadre police officer, to respond to CBI`s plea seeking cancellation of bail granted to him in the Soharabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
The apex court was also informed by the agency that Amin is also an accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case and is in judicial custody.
"Issue notice," a bench comprising Chief Justice Altamas Kabir and justices F M I Kalifulla and Vikramajit Sen said and listed the case for hearing after four weeks.
CBI has challenged the bail granted to Amin, suspended Dy SP, by the Bombay High Court on March 5 on medical grounds.
The trial in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh case was shifted to Mumbai on the orders of the apex court.
CBI had recently filed its charge sheet in the Ishrat Jahan case in a special court in Ahmedabad.
Besides Amin, several Gujarat Police officials are accused in both the cases.
Amit Shah, former Gujarat Home Minister and close aide of Chief Minister Narender Modi, is also accused in the Soharabuddin case and is currently on bail.
Sheikh and his wife Kauser Bi were allegedly abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) when they were travelling from Hyderabad and killed in a fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail