Sohrab case: CBI plea against Amit Shah bail in SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Tuesday take up the Central Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) plea to cancel the bail of former Gujarat home minister Amit Shah in connection with the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
In its status report, the CBI had indicted Shah and the Gujarat Police.
The CBI also said that with the help of Gujarat Police, Shah got bail and wanted the trial to be shifted to Mumbai. Shah, in his reply, accused the CBI of playing politics.
The Gujarat High Court granted bail to Shah on October 29 this year.
On September 3, Shah had asked the Supreme Court to recall its verdict for a CBI probe on grounds of ``prejudice``, and levelled allegations of corruption against its judge and the Central government.
In the 87-page bail application moved by Shah, he alleged that Justice Tarun Chatterjee, who was part of the Bench that had handed over the investigation to the CBI on July 12, was himself under the scanner of the investigating agency for his involvement in the Uttar Pradesh provident fund scam.
Shah`s application in the apex court also questioned the propriety of Justice Aftab Alam considering the fact that he was aware that Justice Chatterjee`s name figured in the provident fund scam.
The CBI has charged Shah with murder, abduction, extortion and conspiracy. On July 23, it produced a 30,000-page charge-sheet implicating Shah in the case.
Shah was interrogated over three days in jail in mid August, but the CBI said he did not cooperate and denied any involvement in the case.
Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausar Bi were killed in an alleged fake encounter in 2005.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah