Sohrabuddin case: Court issues notice to CBI
Ahmedabad: A CBI court on Monday issued a notice to CBI, probing the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, on a bail application filed by one of the accused who contended that he has been given a clean chit by the investigating agency.
Special Judge G K Upadhyay asked the CBI to file a reply to the bail plea of suspended Gujarat Police Inspector VA Rathod by December 27.
Rathod was arrested after other accused in the case filed an application contending that he was equally involved in the conspiracy of the fake encounter.
In his bail application, Rathod has argued that since the CBI, investigating the case under the supervision of the Supreme Court, has exonerated him of all charges and given him a clean chit, he should be granted bail.
He has further submitted that CBI, in its chargesheet filed in July, had dropped his name from the list of accused.
Rathod has also sought bail on the ground of parity as two accused have already got bail. The Gujarat High Court had on October 29 granted bail to former Minister Amit Shah, a key accused in the case.
The HC last week granted bail to another accused, Rajendra Jeerawal, owner of the farmhouse where Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausarbi were kept before being killed.
Sohrabuddin, an alleged extortionist, was shot dead in a fake encounter near here in November 2005. Over a dozen policemen, including IPS officers, have been arrested in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list