Sohrabuddin case: Court issues notice to CBI
Ahmedabad: A CBI court on Monday issued a notice to CBI, probing the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, on a bail application filed by one of the accused who contended that he has been given a clean chit by the investigating agency.
Special Judge G K Upadhyay asked the CBI to file a reply to the bail plea of suspended Gujarat Police Inspector VA Rathod by December 27.
Rathod was arrested after other accused in the case filed an application contending that he was equally involved in the conspiracy of the fake encounter.
In his bail application, Rathod has argued that since the CBI, investigating the case under the supervision of the Supreme Court, has exonerated him of all charges and given him a clean chit, he should be granted bail.
He has further submitted that CBI, in its chargesheet filed in July, had dropped his name from the list of accused.
Rathod has also sought bail on the ground of parity as two accused have already got bail. The Gujarat High Court had on October 29 granted bail to former Minister Amit Shah, a key accused in the case.
The HC last week granted bail to another accused, Rajendra Jeerawal, owner of the farmhouse where Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausarbi were kept before being killed.
Sohrabuddin, an alleged extortionist, was shot dead in a fake encounter near here in November 2005. Over a dozen policemen, including IPS officers, have been arrested in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof