Sohrabuddin case: IPS officer Johri quizzed for 8-hrs by CBI
Ahmedabad: IPS officer Geetha Johri, who
headed the Gujarat CID probe into the 2005 fake encounter case
of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and killing of his wife Kausar Bi, was
today questioned for over eight hours by CBI.
Johri reached the CBI office at old secretariat campus
around 10.30 am. Her interrogation went on till around 6.45
pm. Sources in the CBI said Johri, currently posted as Rajkot
Commissioner, could be called again for examination if needed.
The Central agency had summoned her to appear before
it on August 10, but Johri had requested for more time as she
had returned from a long leave.
The CBI has already quizzed Johri twice after taking
over the investigation into the fake encounter case on the
Supreme Court`s order in January.
While transferring the case to CBI, the apex court was
critical of Gujarat Police`s handling of the five-year-old
episode in which several policemen, including IPS officers,
have been arrested.
The SC had expressed displeasure at failure of Gujarat
Police`s Special Investigation Team (SIT), headed by Johri, to
identify the seven Andhra Pradesh Police personnel who
assisted the local police in the fake encounter of Sheikh, an
alleged gangster on November 26, 2005.
The court had said that while one of the investigating
officers, V L Solanki, was proceeding in the right direction,
Johri had not been carrying out the probe in the right manner.
The SC had also come down heavily on Gujarat Police
for failing to conduct impartial probe and attempting to
"mislead" the apex court by filing conflicting action taken
Former DGP P C Pande was also summoned by CBI in the
same case, but he has not been able to appear before the
agency as he was out of station.
After taking over the probe from Gujarat CID, CBI
arrested former Gujarat minister Amit Shah, currently lodged
in Sabarmati Central Jail here, along with other 15 accused
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa