Sohrabuddin encounter case trial set to start in Mumbai court
Mumbai: Seven years after the killing of Sohrabuddin Sheikh in an allegedly fake encounter, a magistrate`s court here on Friday transferred the case to the special CBI court, paving the way for the start of the trial of nineteen accused, including former Gujarat minister Amit Shah.
"After completion of formalities the magistrate has committed the case to sessions court," said special public prosecutor Ejaz Khan.
The Supreme Court last year transferred the trial to Maharashtra from Gujarat, as CBI said the witnesses were being intimidated and the trial could not be held in a free and fair manner in that state.
Shah was the Minister of State for Home in Narendra Modi government before he stepped down as his name surfaced in the Sohrabuddin case. Shah recently won an Assembly election.
Sohrabuddin and his wife Kauser Bi were allegedly abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorism Squad from Hyderabad and killed in a fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005. Further, Tulsiram Prajapati, a key witness to encounter, was allegedly killed by the police in Gujarat`s Banaskantha district in December 2006.
According to CBI, Shah was the "kingpin" of the conspiracy to kill Sohrabuddin. Most of the other accused in the case are policemen, some of them IPS officers.
Shah was arrested in July 2010 but released on bail after three months. A close confidante of Narendra Modi, Shah is currently out on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth