Solar water heating system for Vrindavan ashrams in the offing
New Delhi: The Government is keen that ashrams in Vrindavan, where large numbers of widows reside, set up solar water heating systems and is working to install the facility in one of the ashrams.
New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah today said he had received a representation in this regard from an ashram and has asked the department`s secretary to find ways to install the system.
"We are looking into how we can provide solar water heating system to this ashram. We hope others will also be able to utilise it and see how effective it is," he said at a function where awards were given to selected solar power developers.
Lakhs of Hindu widows live in various ashrams in Vrindavan and their living condition is generally very poor, various studies have found.
Abdullah said solar system would be of some help to these "unfortunate ladies".
"Despite the big potential of solar systems in saving energy, we are not able to propagate them because we have very few manufacturers and people to dispense it," he said.
Manufacturing is mostly confined to Maharashtra and Karnataka and expertise is very limited.
Talking about lack of expertise in the field, Abdullah said installers had ended up setting up the facility at the governor`s residence in Jammu & Kashmir incorrectly following which he had complained about the same.
"We need much more propagation. We need much more people to sell it and service it," he said.
In many hotels which have installed the solar water heating system, the power bill has gone down by as much as 60 percent, he said.
States like Gujarat and Rajasthan have done a very good work and others need to take it up, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'