Soldiers beheaded after being shot: Indian Army
Jammu: The Indian Army said Wednesday that two of its soldiers were first shot dead by Pakistani troops and then beheaded, and one of the heads had not been found.
"The head of one of the soldiers is yet to be recovered," said Brigadier J.K. Tiwari, deputy general officer commanding (GOC) of the 25 Division headquartered in Rajouri, 180 km from here.
He identified the dead soldiers as Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh and Lance Naik Hemraj.
He said they were "escorting a patrol party near the Sona Gali area close to the LoC (Line of Control)" in Jammu and Kashmir when they were shot dead and beheaded.
The army had not been able to recover the head of Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh, he said.
The brigadier was speaking to the media after attending the guard of honour for the two soldiers killed Tuesday.
According to him, eight soldiers led by two escorts -- the victims -- was patrolling the area, about 600 meters inside the LoC.
"There was very thick fog and visibility was almost nil," he said, adding that the Pakistani soldiers were in black dress and had laid an ambush.
They opened fire at the Indian patrol, killing the two soldiers in the front.
In the meantime, the other soldiers in the patrol opened retaliatory fire. The gun battle continued for about 25 minutes.
When the rest of the patrol reached the dead men, they found that they had been beheaded.
Brig. Tiwari did not rule out possibility of the raiders having taken the head of one of the soldiers with them.
"The bodies of the soldiers were recovered after the firing stopped," he said.
The bodies were sent to their hometown after a wreath laying ceremony and guard of honour at Rajouri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'