Solicitor Gen Subramanium`s resignation accepted
New Delhi: Government Thursday accepted the
resignation of Solictor General Gopal Subramanium, five days after he took the step as he was upset over appointment of a private advocate to represent Telecom Ministry in a case in
the Supreme Court.
Sources said Law Minister Salman Khurshid accepted the
resignation and it was conveyed to Subramanium.
53-year-old Subramanium was appointed the Solicitor General on June 15, 2009 for a three-year term.
He stirred a controversy by suddenly resigning on
Saturday last after a private advocate was appointed by the
government to represent Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal in a PIL
filed against him, alleging that he had favoured Reliance
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the then Law Minister
Veerappa Moily had talked to him to persuade him not to quit
but he insisted on doing so.
Subsequently, the government took a tough stand and made
it clear that it would no longer persuade him.
Soon after taking charge of the Law Ministry yesterday,
Khurshid had said he would address the issue with an "open
mind" at the earliest as it has generated a lot of
"...a lot of water has already flown under the bridge
before I came. I will take a quick stock of the situation and
in consultation with the Prime Minister I will take a decision
as per the directions available from him," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!