`Solid steps, not positive overtures required from Pakistan`
Udhampur (J&K): The positive overtures made by Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif towards India mean nothing until they are given a "formal shape", a top Army commander said on Monday.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command, Lt General KT Parnaik said, "There have been lot of positive overtures since Nawaz Sharif has taken over. That he wants to have good relations with India is a welcome step. But I will say that it is too early to presume anything."
The Army general said that there was lot of interference in Pakistan`s political set-up and added the neighbouring country`s army, ISI and other agencies, they have a clout.
"We know that establishment in Pakistan has got lot of interference. The army, ISI and other agencies, they have a clout. Unless they come under one party and Prime Minister charts a method to deal with them these statements mean nothing. We will have to wait and watch," Parnaik told reporters on the occasion of the 42nd raising Day of the Northern Command here.
He, however, wished that Pakistan understands the threat of terrorism to its own country.
"We wish they understand the dangers of supporting terrorism. Pakistan is under attack from its own terrorists. Every day we find terror attacks in Pakistan," he said, adding that it was too early to say how the course of action will take place.
"May be in the next one year things will be clear," Parnaik, who is going to retire later this month, said.
He said that LeT operatives, apart from Pakistan Special Forces and Pak Rangers, were involved in the beheading of Indian soldier earlier this year in January.
Parnaik, meanwhile, added that India`s attack was more measured.
"Our response was more measured. We not only foiled their attempts, but they had to pay a heavy price also. Our response was strong and more than what they did," he said.
Asked about the terror infrastructure present in Pakistan, the officer said: "There are 40 to 42 terror camps in Pakistan and PoK."
He, however, said that these structures are not permanent in nature.
On the number of infiltrators waiting on the launch pads, Parnaik said that there are always 300 to 400 people waiting in line to cross over this side.
"There are always around 300 to 400 people waiting on the launch pads to infiltrate to our side. But as per our experience these many people never intrude into our territory, they just want to give a message that they are always ready to infiltrate," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says