Solve natural gas pricing issue: Karuna to Centre
Chennai: A day after the Union Cabinet approved doubling of natural gas price, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday urged the Centre to find an alternative way to solve the issue, instead of hiking the prices.
"While the Centre has to take responsibility for hiking the prices of natural gas and petroleum products, I insist that the Centre should come forward to find an alternative without hiking the prices," he said in a statement.
Karunanidhi said the doubling of natural gas price, coupled with hike in petrol rate, could result in an increase in electricity tariff and urea prices.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram has on Friday reasoned that the increasing gas prices followed the sharp dip in production and indicated that the Centre might decide on giving subsidised gas to power and fertiliser units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug