Some Naxal-hit states to hire choppers: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday said it has
permitted some naxal-affected states to hire helicopters for
supporting security forces involved in anti-Maoist operations.
"To meet the shortfall, the Left Wing Extremism (LWE)
affected states have been permitted to hire helicopters under
the security related expenditure scheme on need basis,"
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh told Lok Sabha in a
Bihar, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Orissa have also
projected the requirement of dedicated helicopters to support
the security forces deployed in LWE-affected areas. As per
inputs, the state governments of Maharashtra and Orissa have
hired one helicopter each from Pawan Hans to support the
security forces deployed in LWE affected areas, he said.
"At present, a total of 9 helicopters of the Indian Air
Force (IAF) and Border Security Force (BSF) have been provided
to support the security forces deployed in naxal-affected
"Out of these, four Mi-17 helicopters of IAF are located
in Chhattisgarh and out of five `Dhruv` helicopters of BSF,
three are placed at Raipur in Chhattisgarh and two at Ranchi
in Jharkhand," the minister said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?