Some rail projects delayed for 2 decades: Auditor
New Delhi: In a scathing attack on the functioning of Indian Railways, the country`s official auditor on Friday said some projects for laying new lines in backward areas were languishing for as long as two decades with no certainty of completion.
Five new line projects sanctioned more than 20 years ago, another nine approved between 15-20 years ago and given a nod between 1995 and 2000 remained incomplete as on March 31, 2010, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said in a report to parliament.
"Once the works are undertaken, they should be completed within the shortest possible time to avoid cost and time overrun," the report said, adding that these projects were incomplete despite a staggering Rs 8,549 crore being spent on them thus far.
"These also include five projects sanctioned five years ago. The balance funds required for completion would be of the order of Rs 16,800 crore," said the report, noting that despite a standstill in these projects, funds continued to be made available.
Primarily holding the management responsible for delays, the report said other reasons included lack of coordination with state governments and even the union environment and forest ministry for getting site clearances, and inadequate overall planning.
The audit agency reported to parliament the progress pertaining to 50 new line projects in the most backward districts sanctioned over a decade ago. "The progress work being very slow, 18 of them were not expected to be completed within next ten years."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015