Some rail projects delayed for 2 decades: Auditor
New Delhi: In a scathing attack on the functioning of Indian Railways, the country`s official auditor on Friday said some projects for laying new lines in backward areas were languishing for as long as two decades with no certainty of completion.
Five new line projects sanctioned more than 20 years ago, another nine approved between 15-20 years ago and given a nod between 1995 and 2000 remained incomplete as on March 31, 2010, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said in a report to parliament.
"Once the works are undertaken, they should be completed within the shortest possible time to avoid cost and time overrun," the report said, adding that these projects were incomplete despite a staggering Rs 8,549 crore being spent on them thus far.
"These also include five projects sanctioned five years ago. The balance funds required for completion would be of the order of Rs 16,800 crore," said the report, noting that despite a standstill in these projects, funds continued to be made available.
Primarily holding the management responsible for delays, the report said other reasons included lack of coordination with state governments and even the union environment and forest ministry for getting site clearances, and inadequate overall planning.
The audit agency reported to parliament the progress pertaining to 50 new line projects in the most backward districts sanctioned over a decade ago. "The progress work being very slow, 18 of them were not expected to be completed within next ten years."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back