Some rail projects delayed for 2 decades: Auditor
New Delhi: In a scathing attack on the functioning of Indian Railways, the country`s official auditor on Friday said some projects for laying new lines in backward areas were languishing for as long as two decades with no certainty of completion.
Five new line projects sanctioned more than 20 years ago, another nine approved between 15-20 years ago and given a nod between 1995 and 2000 remained incomplete as on March 31, 2010, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said in a report to parliament.
"Once the works are undertaken, they should be completed within the shortest possible time to avoid cost and time overrun," the report said, adding that these projects were incomplete despite a staggering Rs 8,549 crore being spent on them thus far.
"These also include five projects sanctioned five years ago. The balance funds required for completion would be of the order of Rs 16,800 crore," said the report, noting that despite a standstill in these projects, funds continued to be made available.
Primarily holding the management responsible for delays, the report said other reasons included lack of coordination with state governments and even the union environment and forest ministry for getting site clearances, and inadequate overall planning.
The audit agency reported to parliament the progress pertaining to 50 new line projects in the most backward districts sanctioned over a decade ago. "The progress work being very slow, 18 of them were not expected to be completed within next ten years."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam