Some union ministers against PM under Lokpal
New Delhi: As debate rages on the issue of inclusion of the Prime Minister in the proposed Lokpal bill, a sizable section in the government is against the move, contending it was fraught with "dangerous consequences" for the country.
A Minister, who declined to be identified, said there was
a likelihood of bringing the `C` category employees "in some
form" under the Lokpal.
He said while Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has time and
again said he favoured the inclusion of the Prime Minister,
several ministers have been against bringing the chief
executive post of the country under the purview.
"Implications of bringing the PM under the Lokpal are
much wider and if any charge is made against the PM, it can
destabilise the government the next day. We have to think of
the future", said the minister.
Recommendations of the Standing Committee of Parliament
on Lokpal are likely to come before the union cabinet early
next week and the Bill is expected to come up in the House on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened