Somnath backs Pranab for President
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee on Saturday said he would be happy if Pranab Mukherjee is elected President unanimously and that APJ Abdul Kalam should not contest considering his stature as former president.
"I will be happy if Pranab Mukherjee is elected President unanimously. But what is the value of my opinion?" Chatterjee told a Bengali TV channel from London.
"I felicitated Pranab Mukherjee by sending a message but I don`t know whether it will come to his notice," he said.
Asked about the possibility of Kalam joining the fray, he said "I don`t know whose candidate he will be. But I think that considering his position as former President, he should not contest."
He said ideally political parties should invite someone to be President. "But in our country, it does not happen".
To a question about his name being mentioned by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam SIngh Yadav a few days ago as a Presidential candidate, Chatterjee said "in that event, should I be staying in London now?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her