Somnath backs Pranab for President
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee on Saturday said he would be happy if Pranab Mukherjee is elected President unanimously and that APJ Abdul Kalam should not contest considering his stature as former president.
"I will be happy if Pranab Mukherjee is elected President unanimously. But what is the value of my opinion?" Chatterjee told a Bengali TV channel from London.
"I felicitated Pranab Mukherjee by sending a message but I don`t know whether it will come to his notice," he said.
Asked about the possibility of Kalam joining the fray, he said "I don`t know whose candidate he will be. But I think that considering his position as former President, he should not contest."
He said ideally political parties should invite someone to be President. "But in our country, it does not happen".
To a question about his name being mentioned by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam SIngh Yadav a few days ago as a Presidential candidate, Chatterjee said "in that event, should I be staying in London now?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged