Somnath Bharti accuses Delhi commission for Women of being politically motivated
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: As the furore over Delhi Law Minister`s alleged role in midnight raid refuses to die down, the Delhi Commission for Women Chairperson Barkha Singh will today meet Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung seeking a First Information Report (FIR) against the minister.
Barkha Singh said yesterday that she had written to the Lieutenant Governor regarding the same.
Barkha Singh`s expected visit to the Lieutenant Governor`s office today follows a chaotic day of confrontation between her and the lawyers of Somnath Bharti who had reached the office of the DCW chief with the law minister`s response.
Meanwhile, speaking to the reporters, Bharti alleged the DCW to be a political organisation, saying "Barkha Singh is from Congress... so she is doing all this".
"They (DCW) are trying to defame me, will take them to court," Bharti told reporters adding that the entire saga was orchestrated by the BJP.
The DCW chief earlier said that Bharti had ignored the two summons sent to him by the commission. She further warned that Bharti would have to face an FIR if he failed to respond to the third summon and didn`t appear before the commission on Friday.
On Friday, Bharti`s lawyers reached the DCW office, but the chairperson refused to accept their response by insisting that the minister should have appeared in person himself.
Meanwhile, Bharti was reportedly busy flying kites at an event near ISBT.
Delhi`s law minister was summoned by the DCW over the allegations that he had led a midnight raid on the the house of two African women.
Problems grew for Somnath Bharti after a Ugandan woman identified him as the leader of the mob that manhandled them and molested them during the midnight raid.
The minister however claimed that the women were involved in a drug and prostitution racket.
The Aam Aadmi party however seems to stand by its minister, who says that he has video evidence proving that he didn`t do anything wrong.
Bharti, an IITian and a law graduate, has also been lambasted for his crude remarks against lawyer Harish Salve and BJP leader Arun Jaitley.
"I want to spit on the faces of BJP leader Arun Jaitley and senior lawyer Harish Salve to tell them to mend their ways..." an agiated Bhart had said in a public meeting on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users