Somnath surprised at his name figuring in Prez polls
London: Surprised at his name being proposed for the Presidential post, former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee has said he will consider the move if there is a large consensus on it.
"If there is a large consensus, then I can consider it. I can be honest," he said, expressing surprise at Samajwadi Party and Trinamool Congress suggesting his name for the post.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and his Trinamool counterpart Mamata Banerjee came with the name of Chatterjee along with that of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former President A P J Abdul Kalam, a move seen as a counter to Congress proposals of Pranab Mukherjee and Hamid Ansari.
"I was surprised to see that my name is been suggested by two major political parties. One is an ally of UPA (Trinamool) and another is an important party (SP)... My presence in England itself shows that I was not aware of such possibilities," Chatterjee told a TV News channel in London.
He said he felt humble though he "never anticipated" it.
Asked whether the Left will support his candidature, he said he is not a party man now though he remains a leftist.
Chatterjee said it was an honour for him that his name has come and it is a "great job" to be the "first servant of the country... According to me this is the highest honour a citizen can dream of."
"I don`t know what were the factors that made Mamata and Mulayam think about me as a possible candidate. Therefore, I am neither excited nor be either way sure about anything. Therefore, I will see the developments," he said.
He said he has certain views about the President post.
"If the President polls become an acute fight between different political parties, then it will be a sad day for the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday