Somnath surprised at his name figuring in Prez polls
London: Surprised at his name being proposed for the Presidential post, former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee has said he will consider the move if there is a large consensus on it.
"If there is a large consensus, then I can consider it. I can be honest," he said, expressing surprise at Samajwadi Party and Trinamool Congress suggesting his name for the post.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and his Trinamool counterpart Mamata Banerjee came with the name of Chatterjee along with that of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former President A P J Abdul Kalam, a move seen as a counter to Congress proposals of Pranab Mukherjee and Hamid Ansari.
"I was surprised to see that my name is been suggested by two major political parties. One is an ally of UPA (Trinamool) and another is an important party (SP)... My presence in England itself shows that I was not aware of such possibilities," Chatterjee told a TV News channel in London.
He said he felt humble though he "never anticipated" it.
Asked whether the Left will support his candidature, he said he is not a party man now though he remains a leftist.
Chatterjee said it was an honour for him that his name has come and it is a "great job" to be the "first servant of the country... According to me this is the highest honour a citizen can dream of."
"I don`t know what were the factors that made Mamata and Mulayam think about me as a possible candidate. Therefore, I am neither excited nor be either way sure about anything. Therefore, I will see the developments," he said.
He said he has certain views about the President post.
"If the President polls become an acute fight between different political parties, then it will be a sad day for the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey