Sonawane murder: Main accused Popat Shinde dies
Mumbai: Popat Shinde, prime accused in the murder of Additional District Collector Yashwant Sonawane, died here on Monday at a state-run hospital while undergoing
treatment for burn injuries.
"Shinde died this afternoon. After conducting postmortem, the body would be handed over to police investigating the murder case of Sonawane," P P Lahane, Dean at JJ hospital told a news agency.
According to the FIR in the case, Shinde, helped by his son Kunal, and their aides--Balerao and Shirsat--, had allegedly poured kerosene on Sonawane and torched him on January 25 at Manmad in Nashik district after the Collector objected to oil pilferage.
Shinde had sustained 70 percent burns in the incident and had been rushed next day to JJ hospital, where he was undergoing treatment.
His condition deteriorated in the last couple of days and he had been kept under observation, doctors said.
Eleven persons, including Shinde, were arrested in connection with Sonawane`s murder.
Police had tried to record Shinde`s statement but could not do so as he could not speak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok