Sonawane’s killing: Reddy asks state to act tough
Delhi: Taking serious note of the issue of oil black marketing after the gruesome killing of Yashwant Sonawane, Petroleum Minister Jaipal Reddy on Thursday asked the Maharashtra government to take stringent steps against all the guilty and ensure proper punishment.
“We condemn the gruesome incident. We believed the officer died a heroic death. He was fighting for a noble cause,” the Union Minister said.
Commenting on the issue of booming adulteration business, Jaipal Reddy said, “This incident has once again highlighted the problem of adulteration. Therefore there is a need to respond to the particular problem in systemic stance.”
The oil companies have decided to pay Rs 25 lakhs gratia relief to Sonawane’s family.
Earlier, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had also announced a compensation of Rs 25 lakh for Sonawane`s family, besides full salary till the date of his retirement, government job for one dependent, educational expenses of his children till they complete their graduation, and also a house.
Chavan assured, "Nobody will be spared. The accused have been arrested. My government has taken serious note of the ghastly incident and we will go into the root of the anti-social activities of sand and oil mafia and adulteration."
Sonawane, 44, was doused with kerosene and burnt alive in Panewadi, near Manmad in Nashik district Tuesday, when he went to conduct a raid on the local oil mafia for pilferage from kerosene tankers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered