Soni, Pawar cross swords over media coverage of WC
New Delhi: An open fight broke out in the Cabinet meeting, on Thursday, between Union Information & Broadcasting minister Ambika Soni and ICC chief cum Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar over withdrawal of media accreditation for the final of the cricket World Cup in Mumbai.
Sources told Zee News that an angry Soni told Pawar that she had the power to restore accreditation under the Constitution and what he was doing was not right.
She added. ``It is your home ground, your President and Sachin; this is not the occasion to do this.``
As the Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, kept mum Praful Patel from the NCP told Soni: ``Doordarshan is allowed, why are you fighting for foreign channels?``
An angry Soni retorted, ``I am not just a minister for Doordarshan and there are no foreign channels.``
Soni pleaded with Pawar, but he was adamant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok