Sonia asks HP, Uttarakhand CMs to ensure prompt flood relief
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday spoke to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Chief Ministers of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand seeking "timely and prompt" relief measures for flood-affected people in the two states.
Gandhi enquired from Shinde and Chief Ministers Virbhadra Singh (HP) and Vijay Bahuguna (Uttarakhand) about the situation arising out of the floods caused by heavy monsoon rains and incidents of cloudburst, the in-charge of AICC`s Communication Department Ajay Maken said in a release.
Gandhi, who is in constant touch with these leaders, issued directions for timely and prompt relief measures for the flood-hit people and asked them to ensure speedy rehabilitation and proper preventive measures.
She expressed deep grief and condolences to the families of the bereaved.
"The Congress President also asked the Chief Ministers to ensure that the arrangements for communication and travel is made for the stranded tourists and visitors from other states," Maken said.
As many as 71,440 pilgrims bound for the Himalayan shrines remained stranded in Uttarakhand apart from 1700 people stuck in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack