Sonia asks HP, Uttarakhand CMs to ensure prompt flood relief
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday spoke to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Chief Ministers of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand seeking "timely and prompt" relief measures for flood-affected people in the two states.
Gandhi enquired from Shinde and Chief Ministers Virbhadra Singh (HP) and Vijay Bahuguna (Uttarakhand) about the situation arising out of the floods caused by heavy monsoon rains and incidents of cloudburst, the in-charge of AICC`s Communication Department Ajay Maken said in a release.
Gandhi, who is in constant touch with these leaders, issued directions for timely and prompt relief measures for the flood-hit people and asked them to ensure speedy rehabilitation and proper preventive measures.
She expressed deep grief and condolences to the families of the bereaved.
"The Congress President also asked the Chief Ministers to ensure that the arrangements for communication and travel is made for the stranded tourists and visitors from other states," Maken said.
As many as 71,440 pilgrims bound for the Himalayan shrines remained stranded in Uttarakhand apart from 1700 people stuck in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition