Sonia asks HP, Uttarakhand CMs to ensure prompt flood relief
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday spoke to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Chief Ministers of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand seeking "timely and prompt" relief measures for flood-affected people in the two states.
Gandhi enquired from Shinde and Chief Ministers Virbhadra Singh (HP) and Vijay Bahuguna (Uttarakhand) about the situation arising out of the floods caused by heavy monsoon rains and incidents of cloudburst, the in-charge of AICC`s Communication Department Ajay Maken said in a release.
Gandhi, who is in constant touch with these leaders, issued directions for timely and prompt relief measures for the flood-hit people and asked them to ensure speedy rehabilitation and proper preventive measures.
She expressed deep grief and condolences to the families of the bereaved.
"The Congress President also asked the Chief Ministers to ensure that the arrangements for communication and travel is made for the stranded tourists and visitors from other states," Maken said.
As many as 71,440 pilgrims bound for the Himalayan shrines remained stranded in Uttarakhand apart from 1700 people stuck in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical