Sonia attends Rashtrapati Bhavan function after return
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi, who returned from New York overnight after a medical check-up, was at Rashtrapati Bhavan well on time Thursday to attend the award of the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development on Nobel Prize-winning Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
Gandhi, who looked tired, was the first dignitary to arrive and take her seat on the podium at the historic Durbar Hall. She spent some uncomfortable moments as she sat alone on the dais, facing a large invited audience, before Vice President Hamid Ansari came five minutes later.
Ansari was followed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, President Sirleaf and finally President Pranab Mukherjee.
Wearing a rust-and-green sari, Gandhi was accompanied by son Rahul Gandhi, who sat with the audience in the front row along with Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and some cabinet ministers, including Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma, Food and Consumer Affairs Minister K.V. Thomas and Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Kumari Selja.
Sonia Gandhi, in her capacity as chairperson of the Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust, praised the Liberian president as an "exceptionally remarkable woman who has touched and changed millions of lives" and who was being honoured in the name of "one of India`s most remarkable women", her mother-in-law, former prime minister Indira Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series
- MHA counters Delhi govt's claims on bureaucrats
- Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel engaged to supermodel Miranda Kerr
- Hiring in FY'17 may be lower: NASSCOM