Sonia basks in `landmark` Food Security Bill
New Delhi: "Food for all" is the resolve of
Congress President Sonia Gandhi for the New Year.
She said this to reporters after the meeting of the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) when asked about her plans and priorities for 2012.
At the CPP meeting, Gandhi said, "We must take the Food
Security Bill to the people and make it a central part of our
Noting that the Bill will be introduced in the current
session, she said, "We must make it work because it will
protect a huge number of our people from hunger and
The Bill is "very much part of our far-reaching rights
based approach to development", Gandhi said, adding that she
was aware that there are "still some concerns" but this is
truly a landmark decision.
Gandhi thanked the Prime Minister, Finance Minister and
"our colleagues in the government" for helping fulfil a key
commitment made in the 2009 manifesto.
"You will recall that we had the Right to Information Act
and the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act
passed in 2005 and the Right to Education Act in 2008," she
Gandhi said the food security bill proposes fundamental
reforms of the public distribution system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi