Sonia basks in `landmark` Food Security Bill
New Delhi: "Food for all" is the resolve of
Congress President Sonia Gandhi for the New Year.
She said this to reporters after the meeting of the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) when asked about her plans and priorities for 2012.
At the CPP meeting, Gandhi said, "We must take the Food
Security Bill to the people and make it a central part of our
Noting that the Bill will be introduced in the current
session, she said, "We must make it work because it will
protect a huge number of our people from hunger and
The Bill is "very much part of our far-reaching rights
based approach to development", Gandhi said, adding that she
was aware that there are "still some concerns" but this is
truly a landmark decision.
Gandhi thanked the Prime Minister, Finance Minister and
"our colleagues in the government" for helping fulfil a key
commitment made in the 2009 manifesto.
"You will recall that we had the Right to Information Act
and the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act
passed in 2005 and the Right to Education Act in 2008," she
Gandhi said the food security bill proposes fundamental
reforms of the public distribution system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth