Sonia `bunks` to be with students
New Delhi: After a politically volatile week that saw the exit of her party`s two union ministers, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday took time off to "bunk" political work and spend a while with students of Jamia Millia Islamia University here.
"...My young friends, students. I am delighted to be here in this magnificent university...I am also delighted because I don`t often get the opportunity to spend a little while with students and for another reason and that is I can bunk my class," Gandhi said with a smile after laying the foundation stone for a girls` hostel there.
Sporting a light green sari, Gandhi arrived at the venue ten minutes before the scheduled time.
She expressed her happiness over the university`s plan to name a ground in the campus after cricket legend Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi.
"The VC has told me that it is going to be named after Mansoor Ali Khan, arguably India`s greatest cricket captain and without doubt one of our most charismatic sportspersons," Gandhi said.
She also had a brief chat with students in the ground immediately after the conclusion of the function. However, she had left by the time the journos could approach her for a bite.
For the last few days, Congress has been trying to dispel the perception of differences between the party and the government and dismissing reports of a rift between Gandhi and the Prime Minister over the exit of Union Ministers.
Gandhi`s speech at the UPA II`s fourth anniversary on May 22 will be keenly watched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city