Sonia `bunks` to be with students
New Delhi: After a politically volatile week that saw the exit of her party`s two union ministers, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday took time off to "bunk" political work and spend a while with students of Jamia Millia Islamia University here.
"...My young friends, students. I am delighted to be here in this magnificent university...I am also delighted because I don`t often get the opportunity to spend a little while with students and for another reason and that is I can bunk my class," Gandhi said with a smile after laying the foundation stone for a girls` hostel there.
Sporting a light green sari, Gandhi arrived at the venue ten minutes before the scheduled time.
She expressed her happiness over the university`s plan to name a ground in the campus after cricket legend Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi.
"The VC has told me that it is going to be named after Mansoor Ali Khan, arguably India`s greatest cricket captain and without doubt one of our most charismatic sportspersons," Gandhi said.
She also had a brief chat with students in the ground immediately after the conclusion of the function. However, she had left by the time the journos could approach her for a bite.
For the last few days, Congress has been trying to dispel the perception of differences between the party and the government and dismissing reports of a rift between Gandhi and the Prime Minister over the exit of Union Ministers.
Gandhi`s speech at the UPA II`s fourth anniversary on May 22 will be keenly watched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees