Sonia calls up Sushma over Parliament logjam issue
New Delhi: Even as her party demands the Prime Minister`s resignation, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj has asked the Government to announce cancellation of the controversial coal block allocations and institution of an independent inquiry.
The demand by Swaraj came when Congress President Sonia Gandhi called her last night in a bid to break the logjam in Parliament over the CAG report on coal block allocation.
Swaraj`s demands are significant considering the fact that the party has been unrelenting on the demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation over which it has disrupted Parliament for two weeks.
"I told her that the Government should announce the cancellation of Coal blocks and institute a fair and independent inquiry," Swaraj tweeted tonight about her telephonic conversation with Gandhi who had called her up yesterday.
Her tweets make no mention of the party`s demand for the Prime Minister`s resignation.
Swaraj`s tweet came after her followers in the micro-blogging site wanted to know the details of her conversation which she herself disclosed.
She said that Gandhi wanted the fortnight-long Parliamentary impasse to end "by our(BJP) agreeing to a discussion."
Swaraj, however, did not disclose what was Gandhi`s response nor did she reply to one of her followers whether her party has dropped the demand for the Prime Minister`s resignation.
Gandhi, meanwhile, left for abroad for a week for a routine medical checkup in connection with the surgery for an undisclosed ailment last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa