Sonia condoles Haridwar stampede deaths
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi
expressed her deep shock and sorrow over the tragic stampede deaths in Haridwar Tuesday and urged authorities to act immediately to provide relief to the injured.
"Sonia Gandhi expressed her deep shock and sorrow on
the tragic deaths caused by the stampede in Haridwar. She also
conveyed her condolences to the bereaved families and urged
the authorities to act immediately in providing relief to the
injured," an AICC release said.
At least 16 people, mostly women, were killed and several
others injured in the stampede at an ashram in Chandidweep
area in Haridwar, official sources said.
The stampede happened when a large number of people
tried to enter the Shantikunj Ashram to take part in a `yagna`
as part of the centenary celebrations of the ashram founder
Pandit Shreeram Sharma.
Senior administrative and police officials have rushed
to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai