Sonia condoles Haridwar stampede deaths
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi
expressed her deep shock and sorrow over the tragic stampede deaths in Haridwar Tuesday and urged authorities to act immediately to provide relief to the injured.
"Sonia Gandhi expressed her deep shock and sorrow on
the tragic deaths caused by the stampede in Haridwar. She also
conveyed her condolences to the bereaved families and urged
the authorities to act immediately in providing relief to the
injured," an AICC release said.
At least 16 people, mostly women, were killed and several
others injured in the stampede at an ashram in Chandidweep
area in Haridwar, official sources said.
The stampede happened when a large number of people
tried to enter the Shantikunj Ashram to take part in a `yagna`
as part of the centenary celebrations of the ashram founder
Pandit Shreeram Sharma.
Senior administrative and police officials have rushed
to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal