Sonia condoles Haridwar stampede deaths
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi
expressed her deep shock and sorrow over the tragic stampede deaths in Haridwar Tuesday and urged authorities to act immediately to provide relief to the injured.
"Sonia Gandhi expressed her deep shock and sorrow on
the tragic deaths caused by the stampede in Haridwar. She also
conveyed her condolences to the bereaved families and urged
the authorities to act immediately in providing relief to the
injured," an AICC release said.
At least 16 people, mostly women, were killed and several
others injured in the stampede at an ashram in Chandidweep
area in Haridwar, official sources said.
The stampede happened when a large number of people
tried to enter the Shantikunj Ashram to take part in a `yagna`
as part of the centenary celebrations of the ashram founder
Pandit Shreeram Sharma.
Senior administrative and police officials have rushed
to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog