Sonia consults party leaders on Karnataka
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia
Gandhi Tuesday held consultations with senior party leaders on
the prevailing situation in Karnataka against the backdrop of
Governor HR Bhardwaj recommending imposition of President`s
Rule in the BJP-ruled state.
Health Minister and AICC general secretary in charge
of Karnataka Ghulam Nabi Azad and Law Minister M Veerappa
Moily met Gandhi at her 10, Janpath residence this morning to
discuss the situation.
Before meeting Gandhi, Moily said here that the BJP`s
onslaught against the Governor was an effort to cover its own
mistakes. "It is a character crisis within the BJP... It is a
highly motivated allegation. It is a desperate attempt on part
of the BJP to cover their own mistakes," he told reporters.
With differing views emerging in Congress on
imposition of President`s Rule in the state, Congress is
weighing its pros and cons before arriving at a decision.
The Congress Core Group met here last evening to
discuss the situation. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Gandhi,
Home Minister P Chidambaram and political secretary to the
Congress president Ahmad Patel are understood to have
deliberated on the options before the Centre in view of the
fluid political situation in Karnataka.
Meanwhile, AICC general secretary in-charge of Uttar
Pradesh Digvijay Singh, party in-charge of Haryana Prithviraj
Chavan, in-charge of Bihar Mukul Wasnik and senior leader
Keshav Rao, who is in charge of West Bengal and Jharkhand also
met Gandhi to discuss the political situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy