Sonia dismisses demands for resignation of PM
New Delhi: Unfazed by the Opposition attack, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday dismissed the demand for the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over the coalgate issue.
"Let them ask" was the terse response of Gandhi when approached by reporters on the issue after a meeting of the Congress Core Group headed by her.
The meeting of the Core Group was convened immediately after both Houses were adjourned over the issue for half an hour in the morning.
The meeting, which was also attended by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath discussed the strategy ahead in wake of the Opposition reviving its attack on the government on the coalgate issue and bringing the Prime Minister as well under the target.
Keeping up the heat on the government, the BJP today demanded resignation of Prime Minister on the coalgate issue.
Gandhi had yesterday also given an indication of the aggression in Congress` response to the Opposition`s charges.
Addressing an alumni meet of NSU, she had asked partymen to fight back by not allowing its opponents "to get away with propagating negative impressions".
"Why should we allow our opponents to get away with propagating negative impressions? You should ask them: "what have you or your party done to change things in our country ?" I have no doubt that they have no credible answer," Gandhi had said.
In the Lok Sabha today, soon after Speaker Meira Kumar made a reference to Panchayati Raj Day, opposition members rushed to the Well raising slogans and waving placards on various issues.
BJP members rushed to the Well demanding resignation of the Prime Minister over the issue of coal block allocations.
Shouting slogans, they also demanded dismissal of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar who is alleged to have vetted the CBI report to the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing