Sonia enquires about irregularities in MNREGA payment
Rae Bareli: Congress president Sonia Gandhi
on Tuesday dropped at the house of a village head to enquire about
alleged irregularities in payments for works under Mahatma
Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA) here.
"During her unscheduled visit to rural areas of her
parliamentary constituency, Gandhi, while attending a meeting,
received complaints regarding alleged irregularities in MNREGA
against gram pradhan of Khajuriya village," party sources
The villagers informed her that the village head was
creating problems in payment of wages. "Taking a serious note
of the complaint, Gandhi took a detour and reached the village
head`s house in Khajuria to enquire about the reality," they
said. However, she could not meet her as he was not present.
Later, the UPA Chairperson asked the block development
officer to look into the matter and do the needful to ensure
regular payments to the workers.
On the second day of her three-day visit to Rae Bareli,
Gandhi took an extensive tour of the villages and took
feedback on the ongoing developmental works related to
She also asked her staff to take up the matter with the
A delegation from the under-construction Rail Coach
Factory at Lalganj apprised her of the progress of the
ambitious project. Separate delegations from the Rajiv Gandhi
Petroleum Institute and ITI also informed her about various
works being undertaken.
Earlier in the day, she inaugurated various projects,
including road schemes under PMGSY. She performed rituals and
inaugurated 10 road projects covering a distance of 32.165 km
constructed under PMGSY at a cost of Rs 10.58 crores at Bela
Gandhi also attended a function organised at Kajjiyana
village by UCO bank in association with Rajiv Gandhi Mahila
Vikas Pariyojna to disburse loan among self-help groups
Gandhi distributed cheques of Rs 2.5 lakh each provided
by the bank at an interest rate of four per cent among the
SHGs. She also handed over cheques of similar amount for
Kajjiyana and Khalispur each for solar energy programme. These
villages have been adopted by the UCO Bank.
She toured villages like Chichamau, Maharani ka Purwa,
Khajuri, Tikari Ghazipur and Daulat ka Purwa. "People apprised
Gandhi of their problems, including eratic power supply and
shortage of potable water," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Original seeds of monster black holes detected, claim astronomers
- OnePlus to launch Loop VR headset this summer
- Wishes galore! Look what Bollywood has to say on Karan Johar's 44th birthday
- Controversial BJP MLA targets Nehru-Gandhi family, asks govt to bring down statues named after them
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Mi 5 goes out of stock within minutes of open sale