Sonia Gandhi aide Vincent George summoned in DA case
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi`s close aide Vincent George has been summoned as an accused by a Delhi court, which rejected CBI`s report closing the disproportionate assets case against him, saying there is sufficient material to proceed against him.
"Final report filed by CBI is not accepted. Further, it is held that sufficient material is available on record for proceeding against Vincent George (the suspect) for the offence punishable Under Section 13(1)(e) of Prevention of Corruption Act(PCA)" relating to possession of assets by a public servant disproportionate to known sources of income.
"He be summoned as an accused for offence punishable under section 13(1)(e) of PCA, 1988, for August 30," Special CBI Judge J P S Malik said.
An FIR was registered against George in 2000 in which he was alleged to have been in possession of disproportionate assets from November 1984 to December 1990.
The allegation against him is that while holding the office of public servant as private secretary to former Prime Minister and the then Leader of Opposition Rajiv Gandhi, he acquired assets in the name of his wife, children and close relatives in "benami" which were disproportionate to known sources of his income.
The CBI had alleged that George had amassed huge wealth after 1990 which included commercial and residential properties in posh South Delhi area, properties in Bangalore, Chennai, Kerala and agriculture land bordering Delhi besides cash of over Rs 1.5 crore in bank accounts.
In May this year, the CBI, however, filed a lengthy closure report saying "the allegations of FIR has not been substantiated and it is, therefore, prayed that final report for closure of this case may be accepted and the documents seized/ collected during the investigation be returned to persons concerned."
The closure report detailed the various positions held by George from 1975 to 1977 when he was an assistant in AICC following which he was deputed as former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi`s personal staff in 1980. After her assassination in 1984, he was associated with Rajiv Gandhi in different capacities.
It said investigation had showed that foreign remittances which were included in the category of income of George and his family members came from the US sent by other family members as financial help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli captures his hard work on instagram! WATCH VIDEO
- Paper trays coated with silver capable of extending shelf-life of eggs: Research
- Trailer out! 'Sunshine Music Tours and Travels' is the road trip every youth needs – Watch here
- UNREAL: Five most expensive football transfers
- Subbarao questions inflation-targeting, doubts its efficacy