Sonia Gandhi backs PM, says Congress stands by him
Zee Media Bureau
Mandya: Days after Rahul Gandhi called the ordinance cleared by the Union Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister on convicted lawmakers as `nonsense`, Congress president Sonia Gandhi said on Monday that the whole party was behind Manmohan Singh.
Hitting at the main Opposition, the Bhartiya Janata Party, Sonia said, “They (BJP) ridicule our party, they ridicule our Prime Minister, I want to tell them that the whole party stands by our PM.”
It was under Singh that all achievements of the UPA government had been made, she said in remarks which are significant as the Opposition seized on Rahul`s public outburst against the Ordinance to say he had undermined Singh, that too when he was on an overseas trip.
"We are not afraid of the BJP; We are not afraid of any opposition party. We are not afraid of their attack. We shall continue in our path...We shall continue in our sincere effors", Sonia said.
"....BJP divides people, we (the Congress) bound the people together", she added.
Sonia`s assertion also came a day after BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in a scathing attack on Rahul accused him of committing the "sin" of insulting the PM when he was abroad.
Rahul Gandhi had recently said that the controversial ordinance should be torn and thrown away, leaving his party and the government in a tizzy. The Opposition hit out at the Congress VP’s statement saying that what Rahul had said had undermined the position of Manmohan Singh.
Sonia had talked to the PM the day Rahul made the comments and had reportedly assured him that there was no attempt to undermine his authority. She has also praised him yesterday at an event in Kerala, lauding the welfare and social security schemes for marginalised people initiated by the UPA government. “They (marginalised sections) faced discrimination at every level. The UPA government led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has lifted million of them through its flagship schemes," Sonia had said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened