Sonia Gandhi, Congress party will take call on PM candidate: Digvijay
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Thursday indicated that the party may soon take a decision on its prime ministerial candidate even as the All-India Congress Committee gears up for its meeting scheduled for January 17.
"I have been consistently saying that in a parliamentary democracy, the prime ministerial candidate is not declared in advance. That takes away from the rights of elected Members of Parliament and MLAs to choose the leader.
"But because of the discussion in the national media and at the national level, I think that Congress President (Sonia Gandhi) had hinted... That we will consider. So, let the party decide and the Congress president decide," Singh told reporters.
The comments assume significance in the light of growing demands within the party that Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi be named its prime ministerial candidate at the AICC session.
Addressing the media last month at the AICC headquarters here, Sonia had responded to a query on the party`s prime ministerial candidate by saying that a decision would be taken on the matter at an "opportune moment".
"We have not made any statement in this regard yet," she had said when asked whether Rahul would be named as the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala