Sonia Gandhi, Congress party will take call on PM candidate: Digvijay
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Thursday indicated that the party may soon take a decision on its prime ministerial candidate even as the All-India Congress Committee gears up for its meeting scheduled for January 17.
"I have been consistently saying that in a parliamentary democracy, the prime ministerial candidate is not declared in advance. That takes away from the rights of elected Members of Parliament and MLAs to choose the leader.
"But because of the discussion in the national media and at the national level, I think that Congress President (Sonia Gandhi) had hinted... That we will consider. So, let the party decide and the Congress president decide," Singh told reporters.
The comments assume significance in the light of growing demands within the party that Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi be named its prime ministerial candidate at the AICC session.
Addressing the media last month at the AICC headquarters here, Sonia had responded to a query on the party`s prime ministerial candidate by saying that a decision would be taken on the matter at an "opportune moment".
"We have not made any statement in this regard yet," she had said when asked whether Rahul would be named as the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what