Sonia Gandhi, Congress party will take call on PM candidate: Digvijay
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Thursday indicated that the party may soon take a decision on its prime ministerial candidate even as the All-India Congress Committee gears up for its meeting scheduled for January 17.
"I have been consistently saying that in a parliamentary democracy, the prime ministerial candidate is not declared in advance. That takes away from the rights of elected Members of Parliament and MLAs to choose the leader.
"But because of the discussion in the national media and at the national level, I think that Congress President (Sonia Gandhi) had hinted... That we will consider. So, let the party decide and the Congress president decide," Singh told reporters.
The comments assume significance in the light of growing demands within the party that Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi be named its prime ministerial candidate at the AICC session.
Addressing the media last month at the AICC headquarters here, Sonia had responded to a query on the party`s prime ministerial candidate by saying that a decision would be taken on the matter at an "opportune moment".
"We have not made any statement in this regard yet," she had said when asked whether Rahul would be named as the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what