Sonia Gandhi for South Asian partnership on autism
Dhaka: Congress party president Sonia
Gandhi on Monday praised Bangladesh`s "path breaking innovations"
in micro-finance, education, women`s empowerment and public
health as she underlined the need for a partnership in South
Asia to provide affordable services to millions of autistic
"Bangladesh has been such a fertile source of social
innovation," Sonia said while inaugurating an international
conference on autism here.
"We applaud your achievements," she told the two-day
conference, which was attended by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
and global experts on autism.
Sonia, who arrived here yesterday, said Bangladesh was
admired worldwide for its "path-breaking innovations" in
micro-finance, education, women`s empowerment, public health
and sanitation and "we applaud your achievements".
"India has held together as one nation, deepened its
democracy and accelerated its economic growth (while)
Bangladesh has achieved economic and social success beyond
anything thought possible at the time of its birth," she said
in her 15-minute speech.
The UPA chairperson proposed a partnership in South
Asia so that autistic children have an easy access to services
on affordable expenses.
"On crucial issues like the fertility rate, proportion
of underweight children, immunization, number of mean years of
schooling, child and infant mortality rates, and life
expectancy, you are ahead of us," she noted.
Sonia highlighted the shared history of the two
nations and the great progress made by them over the decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27