Sonia Gandhi is world`s third most powerful woman
Washington: Congress president Sonia Gandhi has been listed the third most powerful woman as Russian President Vladimir Putin beat President Barack Obama to the top spot on Forbes` list of "The World`s Most Powerful People".
Gandhi, 66, described as "de facto head of India", is ranked 21st among the world`s 72 most powerful. She takes the third spot after German Chancellor Angela Merkel (No.5) and Brazil`s Dilma Rousseff (No. 20) among the nine women, more than ever before.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, 81, takes the 28th spot with two other Indians, Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani, 56, ranked 38th, and ArcelorMittal chairman and CEO Lakshmi Mittal, 63, in the 51st position.
While Putin climbs to the top spot as he "continues to solidify control over Russia and the international stage", Obama drops to second spot with his "lame duck period (has) seemingly set in earlier than usual for a two-term president".
Obama is followed by Communist Party of China general secretary Xi Jinping (No. 3), Pope Francis (No.4) and Merkel (No. 5).
Rounding out the Top 10 are Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation co-chair Bill Gates (No. 6), US Federal Reserve chairman Ben S. Bernanke (No. 7), Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz (No. 8), European Central Bank president Mario Draghi (No.9) and the highest ranking active businessperson on the list - Wal-Mart CEO Michael Duke (No. 10).
British Prime Minister David Cameron (No. 11) dropped out of the Top 10 to take the 11th spot.
Among the 13 newcomers to the list (and new to their positions) are Pope Francis (No. 4), China Investment Corp chairman Ding Xuedong (No. 36) and Governor of the Bank of Japan Haruhiko Kuroda (No. 39).
Forty percent (or 26 people) on the list are billionaires, with their combined net worth totalling $564.1 billion - more than the GDP in Sweden, according to The World Bank Group.
Four are from India and four from China. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (No. 24) and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un (No. 46) are the youngest on the list, at ages 29 and 30 respectfully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why