`Sonia Gandhi, Mayawati, Rajnath undervalued their assets`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In 2003, the Supreme Court had ordered that candidates contesting polls to Parliament or state legislatures to disclose their assets and liabilities.
According to a newspaper, a number of top politicians have failed to declare the real value of their immovable assets, even 10 years after the ruling.
In her declarations in 2004 and 2009, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi mentions the value of her land in Dera Mandi (Mehrauli, Delhi) as Rs 2.19 lakh. However, the declared value of land in the same area is Rs 18.37 crore.
In 2009, BJP president Rajnath Singh had declared that he owned a house in Vipul Khand in the Gomti Nagar area of Lucknow worth Rs 55 lakh. However, the declaration did not mention the size of the house, a report in the Indian Express said.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, in 2009, declared that a 522 sq yd house she owns in New Friends Colony, Delhi, was worth Rs 2.4 crore and another house in Maharani Bagh was worth Rs 4.95 crore. But market rates during that period tell another story. The two houses would have been worth Rs 12 crore and Rs 26 crore respectively.
Ahead of the 2012 Rajya Sabha polls, PJ Kurien, the deputy chairman of the upper house, declared that his 7 acre and 27 cents farm land in Tamil Nadu`s Thengassi area had an "approximate current market value" of Rs 1.09 lakh. However, as per market estimates, one acre of land in the area was Rs 5 lakh that year.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit declared that "approximate current market value" of her house in Nizamuddin East area is Rs 98.39 lakh. However, as per the going rate in the area, the worth of Dikshit`s house would be a little over Rs 5 crore.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, who owns a 1,250 sq ft house in the Sansad Vihar Housing society in Dwaraka in Delhi, says it is worth Rs 45 lakh. However, the market rate for similar flats in the area is around Rs 1.25 crore.
In 2009, Home Minister and leader of the Congress in the Lok Sabha Sushil Kumar Shinde had declared that the value of his flat in Delhi and Mumbai is Rs 1 crore and Rs 1.29 crore respectively. However, the newspaper quoted real estate experts as saying that Delhi flat would have been worth Rs 2 crore and the one in Mumbai, Rs 2.5 crore, in 2009.
BJP`s leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her husband, Swaraj Kaushal, own a flat each in Delhi that she declared worth Rs 1.35 crore and another worth Rs 1.13 crore - both, she said, are book values even though rules demand market value.
In 2012, BSP chief Mayawati declared that her two shops in Connaught Place are worth Rs 9.39 crore and Rs 9.45 crore respectively. But real estate experts said they would be worth Rs 12 crore and Rs 15 crore respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof