Sonia Gandhi never shielded any anti-Sikh riots accused: Brar
New Delhi: In the backdrop of a US Federal Court issuing summons to Sonia Gandhi over the 1984 anti-sikh riots issue, Congress MP from Punjab Jagmeet Brar on Thursday said the party president had never shielded anybody involved in the riots.
"Sonia Gandhi never ever shielded party leaders allegedly involved in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. She was, in fact, instrumental in taking up this matter in both houses of Parliament as well as the most powerful Congress Working Committee," Brar said in a statement.
Brar said he had taken up the serious issue dozens of times in Lok Sabha and the highest forums of the party and added Gandhi used to appreciate and encourage Congress leaders who demanded a fair probe or forming of commission or judicial panel to punish the guilty of 1984 riots.
Brar said he is not only an eye witness but was also a deputy whip of the party (CPP) when these matters were discussed with Gandhi.
"The Congress President above all is one of best human beings having respect for Sikh religion and sentiments. I condemn this black mail with full responsibility as the record and proceedings of the Lok Sabha are testimony to this," Brar said.
He also said Sikhs should never forget that after sacrificing her own chair, Gandhi appointed Manmohan Singh as the Prime Minister fulfilling "a long-cherished dream".
A federal court in New York had issued summons to Sonia Gandhi for "shielding and protecting" the leaders of her party who were allegedly involved in anti-Sikh riots in India in 1984.
The summons was issued by the US Eastern District Court of New York after a rights group Sikhs For Justice (SFJ) and two victims of the riots filed a complaint before it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says