Sonia Gandhi re-elected as Congress chairperson, says party should learn from poll debacle
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi was re-elected as the chairperson in the party`s first parliamentary board meeting held on Saturday evening after it`s disastrous performance at the recent Lok Sabha polls.
Union Minister of Railways, Mallikarjun Kharge, proposed the name of Congress chief for the post which was supported by other senior party leaders including Mohsina Kidwai.
Speaking about the routing of the party in the polls, Sonia said that the party had failed to gauge the mood of the nation and asked the workers to understand the reasons behind it and work on the same.
She reportedly asked the party leaders not to indulge in "public acrimony" after the poll debacle. Her statement came after the blame game in the party started soon after the results of Lok Sabha elections.
She also asked the party workers to not lose hope and said that Congress has faced defeat earlier as well but came back despite losses.
She also met the newly-elected 44 MPs after the party`s performance in the recent Lok Sabha elections and asked them for their inputs that would be critical for revamping the party.
The CPP also thanked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for providing “wise, sober and dignified leadership for a decade.”
During the CPP meet, the party made a resolution to “regroup, rebuild and revive under the leadership of Sonia Gandhi and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.”
While talking about the role as the opposition, she said that it needs to be like a “vigilant watchdog” and need to raise relevant issues and debates.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and senior party leader Janardan Dwivedi were also present in the meeting.
Meanwhile, former Law Minister Veerappa Moily said that Rahul should have been made the leader of the opposition.
Party`s national spokesperson AM Singhvi told ANI, “The main agenda of the CPP meet was to elect the new leader of Congress Parliamentary Party for which everyone chose Sonia Gandhi unanimously.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB