Sonia Gandhi re-elected Congress President
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi, 63, was chosen as the President of the ruling Congress party for the fourth time on Friday. Gandhi, who was flanked by the PM Manmohan Singh, thanked her party colleagues for the “great responsibility”.
This has made her the longest serving party president in the 125-year history of the Grand Old Party of India.
In a ceremony held in the national capital, Oscar Fernandes, a senior party leader, announced the unanimous election of Sonia as the AICC chief.
“She has been re-elected as fourth President under Article-18 of Constitution,” he said, while formally announcing the decision and handing over the certificate of election.
Addressing the workers after being elected, Sonia said, “The workers have elected me as the Party- President. I have always realized that it is a very great responsibility to serve the country as Congress President.”
She promised that she would work hard to keep the party flag flying high.
“We will always take our country forward. Jai Hind. Thanks,” she concluded.
Central ministers, party general secretaries, chief ministers of Congress-ruled states and Pradesh Congress Committee chiefs had submitted the nomination papers with Sonia Gandhi`s name at the party headquarters, sources said.
Among them were Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, veterans Motilal Vora and K. Karunakaran. They submitted the nominations to the Congress` chief electoral authority Oscar Fernandes.
Before submission of the nomination papers, Sonia gave her consent to being re-elected to the post at her 10 Janpath residence. Senior Congress leaders from all states presented her the nomination papers for acceptance.
Sonia Gandhi, who is also chairperson of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), first became Congress president in 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015