Sonia Gandhi reaches out to Sushma Swaraj apparently for Food Bill passage
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi, who has been under attack from Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday reached out to the BJP leader in Parliament and walked with one hand on her shoulder, ostensibly to win support for the passage of crucial Bills.
Soon after Lok Sabha was adjourned, Swaraj was walking towards Central Hall with BJP Parliamentary Party chief LK Advani and other MPs when Gandhi approached her and put her one arm on the Leader of the Opposition`s shoulder.
Gandhi walked with Swaraj for some distance.
The MPs, who were witness to this new camaraderie between Gandhi and Swaraj, said the two leaders talked animatedly with each other. BJP leaders were, however, tight-lipped about the subject of the conversation.
Gandhi`s gesture appears as a bid for a rapprochement with the main Opposition as the ruling party wants the Food Security and the Land Acquisition Bills passed in Parliament before the Budget Session ends on May 10. BJP supports these Bills in principle and would give its nod if certain amendments are incorporated.
The Congress President`s move came as a surprise to many as on last Friday, Swaraj had accused Gandhi of instigating her MPs to disrupt her speech in Lok Sabha.
Swaraj had said it had been agreed that she will enumerate reasons for BJP`s boycott of Parliament, following which BJP will stage a walkout to facilitate passage of the Finance Bill.
However, interruptions by Union ministers had made Swaraj angry and she blamed Gandhi for it. "I was disrupted 60 times in three minutes," Swaraj had said.
Gandhi is known for reaching out to other parties. Earlier in this session, she had surprised her own party colleagues when she walked upto SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav in Lok Sabha and asked him with folded hands to give up his demand for Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma`s resignation.
Verma had accused Yadav of having sided with communal forces and that he took money to support the government from outside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth