Sonia Gandhi takes on Narendra Modi over Gujarat`s development
Rajkot: Taking on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on his own turf, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday staked claim to the effort put in for the development of the state and said that there are “some” who take credit for the work done by other people.
“Some people like to take credit for the progress of the state, let them do it but it is the people of Gujarat and Saurashtra who have earned a name for themselves world over through hard work,” Sonia said while addressing a huge farmers’ rally here to kick-start Congress’ poll campaign for the upcoming Assembly polls.
Importantly, she chose not to attack Modi directly nor did she touch upon the issue of government expenditure on her foreign tours. She said, “It is unfortunate that our opponents only see darkness and cannot see the development”.
“We have come a long way on the path of progress. While there is happiness for the same, there is also sadness that our adversaries only talk about barbadi (destruction),” she added.
Clearly, Congress appears to be working on a plan not to target Modi directly but target him on his claim on development of Gujarat.
“It was Pandit Nehru who laid foundation for Gujarat`s development, Congress has done maximum work for the development of Gujarat…Sardar Sarovar Yojana and other schemes were initiated by the Congress,” she said, adding, “The work Congress has done for the development of Gujarat, no one else has done.”
“There is drought in many parts of Gujarat; I want to ask why the Narmada water hasn’t reached Saurashtra in the last 10 years?” she said.
Stressing on the UPA government’s commitment to development of Gujarat Sonia said that she feels the people of the state are being lied about the funds being send by the Centre and claimed that the UPA government has sent 50% more funds what was sent by the BJP led NDA government.
Congress has carefully chosen Saurashtra to begin its poll campaign as it has high hopes from the region which is also a stronghold of former CM Keshubhai Patel, who recently launched the Gujarat Parivartan Party. Saurashtra, recently, also saw suicides by a number of farmers.
The Congress hopes that a triangular contest between will help win a majority of the 58 of the total 182 Assembly seats in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill