Sonia Gandhi to flag off relief material for Uttarakhand floods
New Delhi: Pushing the party machinery into the relief work for Uttarakhand flood victims, Congress President Sonia Gandhi will flag off relief material from AICC headquarters here on Monday while two senior leaders will be sent to oversee relief work in Dehradun on Sunday.
"Party treasurer Motilal Vora and AICC general secretary and incharge of Congress President`s Office Ambika Soni are visting Congress Control Room in Uttarakhand to oversee relief operations and coordinate with PCC sending relief materials," party`s Communication Department in-charge Ajay Maken said.
Vora told PTI that he and Soni will leave for Dehradun tomorrow morning to oversee distribution of relief material that reach there from PCCs.
In a press release, Maken said both the leaders are going to further coordinate relief work and related logistics there.
The party set up a PCC control room at Dehradun to accelerate the relief work.
AICC Secretary Sanjay Kapoor and the party`s wing Seva Dal`s chief Mahendra Joshi have already been sent to Dehradun to monitor the work.
Giving a blow-by-blow account of the rescue operations and relief work being carried out in Uttarakhand, the AICC release said 73,000 stranded pilgrims have been evacuated from Rudraprayag, Chamoli, Uttarkashi, Tehri and Pithoragarh.
2,000 people from Ghangria reached the camps and 500 were evacuated from Garunchatti in Kedarnath today.
Maken said that in addition to the Air Force, state government has also deployed helicopters that evacuated 400 people.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!
- AgustaWestland deal: Congress says govt trying to vilify its leaders
- Arvind Kejriwal admits for first time, odd-even not a long-term remedy
- European Central Bank scraps 500-euro note