Sonia Gandhi to flag off relief material for Uttarakhand floods
New Delhi: Pushing the party machinery into the relief work for Uttarakhand flood victims, Congress President Sonia Gandhi will flag off relief material from AICC headquarters here on Monday while two senior leaders will be sent to oversee relief work in Dehradun on Sunday.
"Party treasurer Motilal Vora and AICC general secretary and incharge of Congress President`s Office Ambika Soni are visting Congress Control Room in Uttarakhand to oversee relief operations and coordinate with PCC sending relief materials," party`s Communication Department in-charge Ajay Maken said.
Vora told PTI that he and Soni will leave for Dehradun tomorrow morning to oversee distribution of relief material that reach there from PCCs.
In a press release, Maken said both the leaders are going to further coordinate relief work and related logistics there.
The party set up a PCC control room at Dehradun to accelerate the relief work.
AICC Secretary Sanjay Kapoor and the party`s wing Seva Dal`s chief Mahendra Joshi have already been sent to Dehradun to monitor the work.
Giving a blow-by-blow account of the rescue operations and relief work being carried out in Uttarakhand, the AICC release said 73,000 stranded pilgrims have been evacuated from Rudraprayag, Chamoli, Uttarkashi, Tehri and Pithoragarh.
2,000 people from Ghangria reached the camps and 500 were evacuated from Garunchatti in Kedarnath today.
Maken said that in addition to the Air Force, state government has also deployed helicopters that evacuated 400 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video