Sonia Gandhi wrote to PM thrice since UPA-II came to power
New Delhi: Congress chief Sonia Gandhi has
written three letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh since
the UPA-II came to power in May last year but none since the
past six months.
Gandhi`s last letter to Singh was on November 25, 2009 in
which she had requested him to address certain lacunae in the
compensation offered to family of Hemant Karkare, an IPS
officer who laid down his life battling Pakistani terrorists
during 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
In another letter dated August 19, 2009, Gandhi had
requested Singh to continue on the international jury for
Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development,
according to the the information provided to Naresh Saini from
Hisar who had filed a Right to Information application seeking
information related to letters written by Gandhi to the Prime
Minister in the past two years.
On July 29 last year, Gandhi, who is the chairperson of
National Advisory Council, had requested Singh to serve
another six-year term on the Board of Trustees of the Rajiv
"I appreciate your contribution and support as a trustee
during the past six years. Your continued cooperation on the
Board would greatly help the Foundation in its work. I would
be glad, therefore, if you would agree to serve for another
term of six years," Gandhi had written.
In a letter written on October 16, 2008, Gandhi had
requested Singh to consider a decision on proposal of Left
Front Government in Kerala to take over the administration of
the famous Padmanabha Swamy temple at Thiruvananthapuram.
"This matter had perhaps been raised with you by Shri
Marthanda Varma of the former royal family of Travancore when
you had visited Kerala. I recall that Indiraji had in the past
intervened in favour of the former royal family regarding the
administration of this temple which has been traditionally
with the former ruler of Travancore and his descendants.
"You may like to have this matter urgently looked into so
that the traditional rights of administration are not
disturbed," she had said.
On October 7, 2008, Gandhi had asked the Prime Minister
to consider a contribution for the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation.
"The Ahmed Kathrada Foundation has been established as a
leading institution for promotion of ethnic and racial
harmony, drawing from a rich experience of anti-apartheid
struggle of South Africa. The foundation has the endorsement
of Nelson Mandela.
"Ahmed Kathrada spent over 26 years in prison and is a
recipient of several awards. His life-long sacrifice for the
noble cause of securing freedom from colonialism and apartheid
is universally acknowledged.
"Given India`s special relationship with South Africa
and our historic association with the anti-apartheid movement,
I would like to suggest that the Government may consider a
contribution of an appropriate amount for the Foundation," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered