Sonia Gandhi`s attempt to build Rahul, destroy Manmohan finished UPA: Sanjaya Baru
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: Former media advisor to the PMO Sanjaya Baru stirred another pot of controversy on Saturday by saying that it was Congress president Sonia Gandhi who spelled doom for the UPA-II government by her attempts to "engineer" a transition of leadership from then prime minister Manmohan Singh to her son Rahul Gandhi.
Baru who was in Goa to promote his book "The Accidental Prime Minister", also said that attempts by top Congress leaders to destroy the image of Manmohan Singh and simultaneously build that of Gandhi scion and party vice president Rahul, could have eventually led to the collapse of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA)-II.
"The problem with UPA-II was (Sonia) Gandhi was engineering a transition from Manmohan Singh to Rahul Gandhi," Baru said during a public interaction for the book promotion event held on the outskirts of the capital.
"The failure of UPA-II was because of confusion at the top. It was about how to build Rahul Gandhi`s personality and at the same time destroy Manmohan Singh`s," Baru added.
"The Congress succeeded in destroying Manmohan Singh`s personality, but failed in building Rahul`s," said Baru, who has in the past said several chapters in his book are dedicated to defending the former prime minister.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow