Sonia inaugurates rail coach factory in Rae Bareli
New Delhi: UPA Chairperson and Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday inaugurated a modern rail coach manufacturing factory in her Lok Sabha constituency Rae Barreli.
Sonia, after inaugurating the coach factory, said, "The coach manufacturing unit here will provide job opportunities to the local residents and farmers who have given their land for this project and add to the development of the area."
The inauguration of the Rs 1,685 crore coach factory was delayed for more than a year due to the vexed issue of compensation to farmers whose land was used for the factory.
The issue is being settled now as railways have decided to provide jobs to all the affected land owners, said a senior Railway Ministry official.
Beside the inauguration, Sonia will also hand over appointment letters to farmers whose land was used for the project.
The country`s largest public transporter had acquired 541 hectares of land for the coach manufacturing factory, out of which 283 hectares belonged to private land owners.
Railways have agreed to provide jobs to about 1,400 persons in compensation for the land acquired for the factory. Jobs will be given to the land owners in `Group D` category.
Railways have just released Rs 150 crore for the factory against the demand for Rs 400 crore. The project received a push after the Railway Ministry came to Congress following the exit of Trinamool Congress from UPA whose representatives had held the key portfolio for the last three and half years.
The Rae Bareli coach factory is expected to cater to railways` increasing demand for coaches by annually rolling out about 1,000 coaches. Currently, the factory is engaged only in assembling coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him