Sonia meets PM amidst speculations of cabinet reshuffle
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi
on Thursday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the backdrop of speculation of a cabinet reshuffle.
The meeting also came on a day when the government`s plan to push through an ordinance on food security bill came a cropper amid indications that the government could begin the consultation process with the opposition on the issue from tomorrow.
A reshuffle-cum-expansion of the Union Council of Ministers as well as the AICC has been pending for a long time and is likely happen in a week. This may be the last reshuffle in the UPA 2 with Lok Sabha elections less than a year away.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had on May 31 indicated that a cabinet reshuffle could be on the cards to fill up the vacancies.
"There are some vacancies. The issue of filling them up is being considered," Singh had told reporters on his way back from Japan and Thailand. Two Union Minsters P K Bansal and Ashwani Kumar resigned in May.
Bansal quit as Railways Minister in the wake of bribery scandal involving his nephew and a Railway Board member and Kumar resigned as Law Minister following a controversy over vetting of a CBI probe report on coal block allocation scam.
With DMK and TMC withdrawing support from government within less than a year, a number of slots vacated by them are yet to filled up. Five ministers of DMK had resigned on March 20 this year after which there has been no rejig in the Union Council of Ministers.
Besides, there are a number of other ministers holding more than one portfolios. They are likely to be asked to shed one of them. A number of ministers are also likely to be asked to quit and may be drafted for organisational works in the party ahead of the next Lok Sabha polls.
A reshuffle of AICC, which is also long overdue, can also happen a little before or later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi