Sonia meets PM amidst speculations of cabinet reshuffle
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi
on Thursday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the backdrop of speculation of a cabinet reshuffle.
The meeting also came on a day when the government`s plan to push through an ordinance on food security bill came a cropper amid indications that the government could begin the consultation process with the opposition on the issue from tomorrow.
A reshuffle-cum-expansion of the Union Council of Ministers as well as the AICC has been pending for a long time and is likely happen in a week. This may be the last reshuffle in the UPA 2 with Lok Sabha elections less than a year away.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had on May 31 indicated that a cabinet reshuffle could be on the cards to fill up the vacancies.
"There are some vacancies. The issue of filling them up is being considered," Singh had told reporters on his way back from Japan and Thailand. Two Union Minsters P K Bansal and Ashwani Kumar resigned in May.
Bansal quit as Railways Minister in the wake of bribery scandal involving his nephew and a Railway Board member and Kumar resigned as Law Minister following a controversy over vetting of a CBI probe report on coal block allocation scam.
With DMK and TMC withdrawing support from government within less than a year, a number of slots vacated by them are yet to filled up. Five ministers of DMK had resigned on March 20 this year after which there has been no rejig in the Union Council of Ministers.
Besides, there are a number of other ministers holding more than one portfolios. They are likely to be asked to shed one of them. A number of ministers are also likely to be asked to quit and may be drafted for organisational works in the party ahead of the next Lok Sabha polls.
A reshuffle of AICC, which is also long overdue, can also happen a little before or later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP