Sonia, Rahul not to campaign for Uttar Pradesh bypolls
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After facing the worst electoral debacle, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and party vice president Rahul Gandhi has decided not to campaign for the Uttar Pradesh bypolls, reports stated on Friday.
Even as Rahul has opted out from campaigning in the state, many other top party leaders will be campaigning in the state for the upcoming bypolls, top officials said. According to a list released by the AICC, Rahul's name is missing among the 35 star campaigners for UP bypolls to be held in 11 Assembly constituencies.
Surprisingly, party leaders are failing to explain the reason behind the absence of Rahul Gandhi's name from the list. Party sources, however, downplayed it saying that the Congress President, by convention, never campaigns in by-polls.
As per the list, senior party leaders like Moti Lal Vora, Gulam Nabi Aazad, Digvijay Singh and Bhupender Hooda will campaign in the Uttar Pradesh.
The seats going for elections include Noida, Lucknow East, Saharanpur Nagar, Bijnore, Thakurdwara, Nighasan, Hamirpur, Charkhan, Sirathu, Balha, Rohaniya and Sirathu in Uttar Pradesh. The process of filing nominations has already started and the last date is August 27.
Rahul Gandhi had once campaigned in a Lok Sabha by-poll in favour of party candidate Raj Babbar in 2009, where he was fielded against Dimple Yadav, the daughter-in-law of SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Gandhi was, however not the party Vice President then.
The stakes for BJP are high in UP as 10 of these 11 seats are being vacated by its leaders who have been elected MPs while Rohaniya seat is being vacated by ally Apna Dal as its leader, Anupriya Patel was also elected to Lok Sabha.
Earlier, party general secretary Madhusudan Mistry had said that Congress will go all alone in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly byelections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof