Sonia sends her offerings to Khwaja`s shrine
New Delhi/Ajmer: Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Monday sent a ``chaddar`` to the shrine of Sufi saint Khwaja Moin-ud-din Chishti in Rajasthan`s Ajmer city.
The cloth is to be offered at the shrine by Congress party leaders on the occasion of Urs.
``Urs`` marks the death anniversary of Moin-ud-din Chishti, who is popularly referred to as ``Gharib Nawaz``, or the ``messiah of the poor``.
Scores of devotes from all over India converge the shrine on the occasion.
Chishti, who is believed to have been born in 1142 AD, preached tolerance and unity of all religions.
In 1236 AD, the saint entered his cell to pray in seclusion for six days, at the end of which he died. Since then Urs has been celebrated for six days every year.
It is believed that praying at the tomb of the saint fulfils a person`s wishes. Devotees visiting the shrine offer fresh flowers as a symbol of their devotion. Some even go up to the extent of offering large amounts of money and expensive jewels.
Devotional music and recitations from Chishti`s own works and other Sufi saints are presented in traditional Qawwali (chorus singing) style.
The annual event culminates with readings from the holy Quran and special prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video