`Sonia should ask PM to resign for failure on economic front`
New Delhi: Accusing the government of having badly failed on the economic front, BJP leader and former finance minister Yashwant Sinha on Tuesday said UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi should ask Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to put in his papers and hold fresh elections.
"I would like to appeal to Sonia Gandhi that her team of economic managers have performed very poorly. They have not been able to control inflation over the last four years. They have performed so poorly that the only way out of the present impasse is to go for elections," Sinha told reporters here.
He said the issue was not whether the Opposition had the numbers in Lok Sabha or not, but the people losing faith in this government and it should go to pave the way for another to help bring the economy back on the rails.
"People have lost faith, the investors also have lost faith in this government and that`s why it should go so that another government has an opportunity to bring the economy back on the rails again," he said.
Sinha said the country is being "taken for a ride" as it was doing "badly" on the economic front and feared people will feel its impact much more in the coming days.
"That`s why I am issuing this appeal to Sonia Gandhi. Please tell the Prime Minister to put in his papers. There is no point in continuing this government," he said.
The BJP leader said there is absolutely no indication that things are going to improve next year as promised by Finance Minister P Chidamabaram during his visit to Tokyo.
Sinha also raised concerns over the rising Current Account Deficit, which had touched 6.7 percent in the last quarter as per reports, saying it was "unacceptable".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister