Sonia, Tata in world`s top 50 influential people
London: UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and industrialist Ratan Tata were among the world`s "50 most influential people" along with German chancellor Angela Merkel, who was ranked No 1, according to a survey by UK-based magazine NewStatesman.
The list, however, features a number of controversial figures including the chief of the Pakistan Army Gen Ashfaq, Parvez Kayani, the Republican Tea Party leader Michele Bachmann, described as "scarier than Sarah Palin" and al Qaeda`s "spiritual leader" Anwar al-Awlaki.
Describing Gandhi as "Madam India", the survey included the Congress president in the list for the political power she wields as much as her capacity as the chairperson of the ruling United Progressive Alliance.
"Italian-born Sonia Gandhi is widely considered as one of the most powerful politicians in India, becoming the longest-serving president in the history of the Indian National Congress on being re-elected for the fourth time in September 2010," the magazine said highlighting the fact that she is daughter-in-law of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Tata, dubbed as "Metal Head", was hailed as a symbol of "India`s emergence as an international powerhouse" and credited with giving Indian business a global reach with the acquisition of the British steel manufacturer Corus and the prestigious Jaguar Land Rover car by the Tata Group.
His statement that his successor need not be an Indian is described as a "sign that his is a truly global business."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video