Sonia to get elected unopposed for record 4th term
New Delhi: With all indications that there
will be no contest for Congress President`s post, Sonia Gandhi
is expected to get elected unopposed for a record fourth term.
Though tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations,
63-year-old Gandhi`s unanimous re-election to the top party
post seems to be a mere formality.
Several sets of nomination papers are expected to be filed
on her behalf. The AICC has, however, not officially announced
Party sources said 50 nominations are expected to be filed
Top party leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,
Leader of the Lok Sabha Pranab Mukherjee and Gandhi`s son
Rahul as also several union ministers and party Chief
Ministers are expected to file the documents.
The election process was set in motion last week with the
issue of the notification.
Gandhi, who is also the UPA Chairperson, has ensured power
for the Congress via the coalition route. She led a
Congress-led alliance to victory in 2004 after eight long
years of political wilderness for the party.
This was the first experiment of Congress sharing power at
the Centre and it has also entered into a second term in
coalition after the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Gandhi has created a record of having the longest tenure
as Congress chief by steering the party since April 1998 when
she replaced the late Sitaram Kesri.
Only once she had to face a contest with senior leader
Jitendra Prasada throwing his hat in the ring a decade back
but she had defeated him.
As per the election schedule, scrutiny of nominations will
be held on September 3, last date of withdrawal is September
10, and date of polls, if necessary, is September 17.
Counting of votes will be held on September 21. This is
also the schedule for the election of the PCC presidents in
Electoral collage for the Congress President`s election
comprises 7,946 PCC delegates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes